Knowledge base:

Binding Study Advice (BSA)

Binding Study Advice

What does the BSA entail?

The binding study advice (BSA) is a decision by your institution as to whether you can continue with your programme and is generally based on the number of credits you have obtained.

Every institution is obliged to give you a positive or negative study advice at the end of your first year. The institutions themselves decide whether this advice is binding or not. The institutions themselves may also determine the minimum number of points that you must obtain in order to receive a positive recommendation. The exact number of points is described in the Teaching and Examination Regulations (OER) of your programme. The OER of your programme must have been sent to you or can be found on the website of your programme. 

If this advice is negative, you will unfortunately have to stop your programme, unless there are special circumstances. If you have received a negative BSA, it is still possible to follow another programme at the same institution, or the same programme at another institution.

Can I get an exemption for the BSA?

If there are serious personal circumstances preventing you from obtaining your BSA, contact your study advisor as soon as possible. The procedure to request a postponement can then be initiated. If you are granted a postponement of the BSA, it is possible that the institution will raise the requirement to obtain the BSA in the second year of study. However, there is a maximum requirement: the BSA may not require more than 60 ECTS from the first year.

Does the BSA count if I stop my education before 1 February?
Have you earned very few credits in the first few months of your studies? Then you can choose to stop before 1 February. One option would be to restart the same programme next year. Contact the study advisor of your programme in time to see if this is an option for you.
Can I object to a negative BSA?

Of course, it is possible that you do not agree with a negative BSA. In that case, you can lodge an appeal with the Examinations Appeals Board (CBE) within six weeks. If they decide that you should be dismissed, you can still appeal to the Board of Appeal for Higher Education (CBHO). You can do this by sending a letter to the CBHO with the decision of the Examination Appeals Board (CBE) and the request for a provisional ruling (a quick emergency ruling). You can contact the national Student Legal Clinic (LSR) if you need help with this procedure.

Can my programme set additional requirements in the second year?

If you have already received a positive BSA, your programme is not allowed to set additional requirements in the second year. This is because there is only one moment permitted for testing. A second BSA in your second year is therefore not allowed.

Do you have any further questions or need help? Contact the national Student Legal Clinic (LSR).

Is the answer to your question not listed here? Please contact us, or use one of the tools below. 

For many practical and specific questions, it is best to contact your educational institution or study advisor. 

For information on study financing and the loan system, you can often contact DUO (Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs)

For legal questions or complaints, contact the Student Legal Clinic (LSR)

For questions about the accessibility of higher education and studying with a request for support, visit the website Hoger Onderwijs Toegankelijk (Accessible Higher Education).

Get in touch with us

We'd love to help you!


Office phone number:

030-230 26 66

General inquiries:

Press inquiries:

Demi Janssen - 06 515 165 01

Contact form